Saturday, 5 January 2008

Advertisement, computer generated, Moving Image: Stupid Dogbot by Ogilvy & Mather


I absolutely adore the current Ford Fiesta adverts with the tag line, "Clever Fiesta. Stupid Dogbot". The advertisement aims to show off the car's new quick clear windscreen by having a small robotic dog rampaging around outside in the snow, which eventually runs into the garage housing the fiesta. Snow from the roof then covers the robot dog and the car which immobilises the dog, but poses little problem to the fiesta which clears its windscreen automatically.

I find the advert really appealing, as the computer generated robot dog has a huge cute factor, and is merged seamlessly with video footage of the car. Furthermore, I think all of the dogbot adverts work well as a series... they are instantly recognisable as a fiesta advert, without actually having to see the car, which means it work in term s of it being memorable, and therefore is very effective.

I also think that the animation involved is particularly clever as the movement and characteristics of the dogbot have obviously occured as a result of studying the movement and actions of a real dog... they are very realistic.... It's just an amazing ad really