Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Portfolio PPD Evaluation

I think that my portfolio is gradually showing more of an interest in packaging design and general promotional material, as well as being quite heavily grounded in image/illustration work. However, I think that my hand rendered work is become less and less obvious as time goes on, and doesn't really feature at all in my current portfolio. I think this needs to be addressed in my future work, as hand rendering is really quite important to me.. I don't really intend to stray away from it, but it often seems that computer generated imagery is quicker and more easily edited and manipulated. I'm sure for certain projects hand rendered imagery could prove more significant.

I think that my work i some ways is becoming more like the work of Arthur Steen Horne Adamson in terms of tactile quality, an the fact that a lot of their image work is produced in illustrator. I love vector graphics, and this is shown in my portfolio.

I feel that there isn't enough variety shown in my portfolio, and while I'm fairly happy with the standard of the work, I don't think it gives a true indication of my design interests. Much more packaging and hand rendered illustration is neccessary I think in my portfolio to show the breadth of design i have an interest in. I also think it would be more interesting to have some photoshop work in there too, as it looks a little like I'm a bit of a one trick pony looking back through it all now.

In future I intend to work with different media. As yet I haven't tried screen printing any of my own work which seems a shame and a bit of a waste really. I think it would be beneficial to learn so that it's a method of working that is open to me in future.

With regard to my dissertation, I've chosen the theme of alcohol advertisement. I intend to discuss whether such glamorised advertising promotes a fantasy... an illusion to tempt people into believing this drink will in some way make them more successful or happy... or whether such adverts are a platform for creativity despite the product being advertised being incredibly poor for our health, and often having negative effects on society. This feeds into my studio practice as i aim to discover what kind of promotional work is unsuitable or too far fetched... and how far my own ethics come into play regarding my future career...